Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The story of the runny nose.

Yesterday, when sitting at home, Maddie walked by me with a runny nose. I saw a glimpse of red and thought she had a bloody nose. Immediately grabbing a tissue to have her blow her nose we found no blood on the tissue paper and no blood on her nose.

"Maddie, look up for me please."
"Ok Mama."
"Maddie did you put something in your nose?"
"Yes."
"What's in your nose Maddie?"
"A bead."
"A bead is in your nose?"
"Yes."
"Maddie, why is there a bead in your nose?"
"I found it at nap time and didn't want anyone to take it."
"So you put it in your nose?"
"Yes."
"Kevin! Call the doctor. Maddie has a bead in her nose."

Luckily our doctor's office is WONDERFUL and the on-call physician agreed to meet us at the clinic to attempt to "extract the bead" and hopefully prevent a trip to the ER and possible need for sedation. The doctor very calmly stuck a tool that looked like a tiny, thin, plastic spatula up her nose and around the bead and was able to push it out from above. Maddie didn't even cry. But she did bring the bead home (gross!).

1 comment:

Meg said...

I'm glad Maddie came away totally unscathed - but I have to admit I did chuckle a little :-D