Monday, January 18, 2010

"How did all the people get here?"

Two weeks ago Maddie and I were driving home from school when she asked me "Mama, how did all the people get here?" Beleiving in religious science as I do, and being a firm believer that everyone should partake in a faith (or lack of faith) that makes sense to them, I was careful not to say "this IS what happened...". I instead took the approach of explaining that there are lots of different beliefs, but that Mama believes is that... (btw explaining evolution to a 5 year old puts a lot of strain on the brain).

I can't help but wonder though, is it better to teach children a truth at this young age and then encourage them to explore different faiths later in life? Or is it best to keep the road maps of faith open from day one? As an adult I still struggle with wanting to have one firm belief, one which I have yet to nail down, craving a "known truth" which for me does not yet exist.

Parents, what do you chose to teach your children? And non-parents, what do you think you will chose to teach when your time comes? I would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

Meg said...

In my opinion evolution is not up for debate. Its irrefutability as a stone cold scientific fact takes it out of the running for me as belonging in any kind of a religious debate.
But as far as letting your children decide their views on religion I agree wholeheartedly. Someone's spirituality is a deeply personal decision. I wouldn't mind if we had a child who was Buddhist, or Christian, or Jewish because we are not I know it would be a well thought out decision for them.